May 30, 2011

Monday Morning... Big News!

Monday 9am and I want to stay in bed, well, I can't. Have to see the doctor who wants me in for blood test results. Hubby is in with me for his own test results and to keep me company as well. We spent the whole day together, it was such a nice day. Lunch in China Town (yummy), Chinese Herbs Shopping (yucky), laughs and more laughs... oh wait, I'm getting side tracked, the blood test results!!!!

Everything is normal except for:
  • Iron: I'm Anemic the doctor says, I have to be careful and start treating the Anemia with Iron pills and eating more Meat (I rarely eat meat) and other things, well, you know all the things that contain iron and blah blah blah... I'm not listening, all I'm thinking is "OK, tomorrow I'll tell Ethan (TCM practitioner) about this and he will help me fix it! The Doctor announces that this is a delicate thing and it probably has something to do with my period... REALLY!!!! I've been telling you for years that there is a problem with my period, you hear but you don't listen!!!!!! He gives me iron Pills to take, we will see about that.
  • Low Blood Pressure: Doctor says that my Blood Pressure is very low and that I have to be very careful. He asks if I get dizzy often. I actually do, when I get up after sitting/lying down for a while, sometimes I see little stars (that's so cute) or see black for a couple of seconds if I force too much at something like a flying side kick or a superman punch... LOL kidding about the techniques, not kidding about the little stars and the blurry vision! Doctor advises to be very careful when standing up, forcing too much and he makes sure I understand I can pass out anywhere, anytime and get injured from the fall...Oh gosh... seriously??? Like I didn't have enough with all the rest!!!
  • I have a small cough, well it is more like clearing my throat and I do it often, the suggests that I have post nasal drip that is causing that "throat clearing cough", he has told me this before and I know it very well, it happens every time allergy season arrives. He checks my nose, ears and throat, he says, nose is a bit dry and inflamed, SURE!!!! I've been sneezing quiet a bit in the last years!!!!, ears are fine and throat is suffering due to the nasal drip... once again, blah blah blah... taking mental notes for Ethan tomorrow! Doctor gives me a prescription for the nose, a Corticosteroid that I've taken before and will no longer take!
  • Since Allergy season is here and I missed the first vaccine, Doctor puts me on the list for the second batch and in August I am due to receive a vaccine that will help with the sneezing, not sure I want to do that, have to consult Ethan for it!
  • Hormonal profile came out PERFECT!!! Nothing wrong with my hormones.
  • I was tested for Arthritis and Autoimmune diseases (Lupus, Mono, etc.) because since 2009 I had serious joint pains and in the first test I came out positive/reactive for Arthritis, so this results were in too. He sends me to see the Reumatologis right away, who is on the same clinic, so off I go to see the Rheumatologist and the verdict, OK, Diagnosis: Out of three Arthritis Tests, one is borderline, in his words: "it means nothing since the other two tests were negative" so no pills for you, if you have pain take a hot bath or an Advil" OK that sounds right, hell no! The Lupus test, same thing: "Out of the three tests we did one came out borderline" WHAT???? I almost fainted!!! "It means nothing since the other two are negative" AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGG I want to scream, he explains there is nothing to worry about.. hell yes! I'm worried and I have to go back for more test and explanations!!! I wanted to do some research about this and go back to the doctor armed with the right questions, and lucky me tomorrow I have an appointment with Ethan and he will get blasted with questions as well, I know he can stand the heat, he is awesome and I trust him way more than I trust my doctor right now, and don't take me wrong, my Family Doctor is a friend of us and a wonderful human being, I'm just not feeling it right now. I feel Western Medicine take things lightly and they only come to play when it is too late, so I am responsible for my health and cure of any problems. I will get informed as much as I possibly can and then ask the pertinent questions!
Lupus is an autoimmune disease where the body's immune system becomes hyperactive and attacks normal, healthy tissue. This results in symptoms such as inflammation, swelling, and damage to joints, skin, kidneys, blood, the heart, and lungs.
Under normal function, the immune system makes proteins called antibodies in order to protect and fight against antigens such as viruses and bacteria. Lupus makes the immune system unable to differentiate between antigens and healthy tissue. This leads the immune system to direct antibodies against the healthy tissue - not just antigens - causing swelling, pain, and tissue damage. (* An antigen is a substance capable of inducing a specific immune response.)
Several different kinds of lupus have been identified, but the type that we refer to simply as lupus is known as systemic lupus erythematosus or SLE. Other types include discoid (cutaneous), drug-induced, and neonatal.

Patients with discoid lupus have a version of the disease that is limited to the skin. It is characterized by a rash that appears on the face, neck, and scalp, and it does not affect internal organs.

Well, let me add something here: I've had pain in my joints since 2009 when all this problem started, specially the joint pain and the getting sick during period attacks. And I've had this rash on my scalp and part of my face for a while now and nothing I use for it helps ease the problem.

What are the symptoms of lupus?
Since no two cases of lupus are exactly alike, there is a wide range of symptoms that are known to affect many parts of the body. Sometimes symptoms develop slowly or appear suddenly; they can be mild, severe, temporary, or permanent. Lupus episodes, or flares, are usually noted by a worsening of some of the following symptoms:
  • Achy joints (arthralgia), arthritis, and swollen joints, especially in wrists, small joints of the hands, elbows, knees, and ankles. I have this problem!!!
  • Swelling of the hands and feet due to kidney problems.
  • Fever of more than 100 degrees F (38 degrees C).
  • Prolonged or extreme fatigue.
  • Skin lesions or rashes, especially on the arms, hands, face, neck, or back. I have this problem!!!
  • Butterfly-shaped rash (malar rash) across the cheeks and nose.
  • Anemia (oxygen carrying deficiency of red blood cells). I have this problem!!!
  • Pain in the chest on deep breathing or shortness of breath.
  • Sun or light sensitivity (photosensitivity)
  • Hair loss or alopecia
  • Abnormal blood clotting problems
  • Raynaud's phenomenon: fingers turn white and/or blue or red in the cold
  • Seizures
  • Mouth or nose ulcers
  • Weight loss or gain
  • Dry eyes. I have this problem!!! 
  • Easy bruising. I have this problem!!!
  • Anxiety, depression, headaches, and memory loss. I have been treated for anxiety and depression!!!
  • ALLERGIES!!!!! Yes, Allergies!!!!! A*L*L*E*R*G*I*E*S
I might be exaggerating but I prefer to be safe than sorry and tomorrow I will take care of this carefully and meticulously. Like my teacher says : "The way we do anything is the way we do everything". And I will take good care of this!

I'm going to bed now, feeling a bit worried and calm at the same time, even if I have Lupus there no cure, just ways to live a better a life, even with it, so really, we are all on the quest to living a better life. This won't change anything for me, and if it does is only for the better and with the amazing support system I have, I'm golden!!! I'm more worried about how my entourage will react I think. And with total honesty I really feel like crying but can't find my tears, I look inside and feel only strength and power. No time for emotional breakdowns.

I am Health, I am Strength, I am Power, I am Amazing, yes I am!!!

No comments: